Friday, January 21, 2011

The Rite Possession.....

As early this year, January lined us up with two Exorcism themed movies, ”Exorcismus” which is currently being shown in theaters and "The Rite" which is coming soon.

All these years in horror, particularly in demon possession genre there is no doubt that "The Exorcist" has the absolute stranglehold. The movie changed the face of the horror films. I'm not sure if there will be another film to contend its throne, surely there was "The Omen" both with similar themes but with different story plot, "The Exorcist" is in demon possession, while "The Omen" is an evil incarnate.  But rating which film scares me out up to the tip of my bones, without a doubt "The Exorcist" is the scariest movie I have ever seen. I remember when I was a kid, after watching it, I was shaking the whole day, had nightmares for days and weeks. Why is it so hard for me swipe Linda Blaire’s face out of my memory? As for “The Omen”, well it only scared for days (LoL); it was spooky too but didn't scare me as much as "The Exorcist". Both films however became a permanent fixture of my collective nightmares.

I haven't watched “Exorcismus” and I'm not planning to, but I'm looking forward to "The Rite". (I'm a big fan of Anthony Hopkins)
Sir Anthony Hopkins. a seasoned Jesuit exorcist in Rome mentoring a skeptical seminary student. "The Rite" is a supernatural thriller that uncovers the Devil's reach to even one of the holiest places on Earth. Inspired by true events, a seminary student Michael Kovak(Colin O'Donoghue) is sent to study exorcism at the Vatican with his skepticisms about the controversial practice and adding his doubts in his own faith he challenges his superiors to look to psychiatry, rather than demons, in treating the possessed.

Comes Father Lucas (Anthony Hopkins) an unorthodox, Micheal was sent as his apprentice. A legendary priest has performed thousands of exorcisms; Michael has drawn into a troubling case that seems to transcend even Father Lucas's skill. He begins to glimpse a phenomenon science can't explain or control...and an evil so violent and terrifying that it forces him to question everything he believes.

Photo inset courtesy of link

Now these seem to be interesting plot, I myself had witnessed a demon manifesting inside a girl body who happened to be my schoolmate. The possession happened during the mass which being held during the first Friday of the month. Yes, I spent my primary education in a Catholic school, I don't know how to react back then but "The Rite's" premise sparks my interest and how this plotline will be adapted in screen.

What assessment criteria one might use when trying to determine when a problem is spiritual and when a problem is mental. How exactly do you tell what is mental illness and what is a spiritual affliction. I sincerely doubt there is any test that will please believers or devotees from both sides of the cultural divide.

These are questions that I leave you guys to discuss, as for me I just look forward again to be spooked by Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...